Social Science : Civics
FORMS OF GOVERNMENT AND DEMOCRACY
1. Discuss in the class what is universal adult franchise. Why is it important?
2. "Democracy is the power of majority which respects minority". Discuss.
3. Conduct a mock election in your class.
4. A group discussion on the merits and demerits of democracy of India in the classroom.
1. Will you have the right to equality under dictatorship? What would be the attitude regarding public opinion in such a country?
• A state which is ruled by a dictator is dictatorship.
• A political leader possesses the full power
• This power is used in an harsh manner
• Under this type of government public opinion have no place. Opinions are not accepted.
• There is no freedom of right to raise one's voice.
2. How does democracy lead to a peaceful and a harmonious life among the citizens? Explain.
• Fundamental rights are safe guarded
• Basic freedom which every citizen has the right to enjoy to develop his personality
VIII. Life Skills
Select a group of countries. Research each country and tell what type of government it has : Aristocracy, Monarchy, Autocracy, Oligarchy, Theocracy, Democracy, Republic. Then, provide characteristics of this country that helped you determine the type of government
Country Name : Vatican
Type of government : Theocracy
Characteristics of the country's government: The head of catholic church Pope. He exercises legislative, executive and judicial power
Country Name : France
Type of government : Democracy
Characteristics of the country's government: President head of the state, Shares power with Prime Minister
Country Name : Oman
Type of government : Monarchy
Characteristics of the country's government: Sultan of Oman is head of the state. He appoints a cabinet to assist him.