I. Choose the best answer.
1. Which is not the western margin of Asia?
(a) Black Sea
(b) Mediterranean Sea
(c) Red Sea
(d) Arabian Sea
Answer: (d) Arabian Sea
2. The Intermontane ______ plateau is found between Elbruz and Zagros.
(d) The Yunnan
Answer: (b) Iran
3. Equatorial climate :
(i) Uniform throughout the year.
(ii) The average / mean rainfall is 200 mm.
(iii) The average temperature is 10°C.
(iv) Of the statements give above,
(a) i alone is correct
(b) ii and iii are correct
(c) i and iii are correct
(d) i and ii are correct
Answer: (a) i alone is correct
4. Match list I correctly with list II and select your answer from the codes given below.
List – I List – II
A. Malaysia 1. Figs
B. Thailand 2. Rubber
C. Korea 3. Teak
D. Israel 4. Cherry
A B C D
Answer: (a) 2,3,4,1
5. India is the leading producer of _____________.
Answer: (b) Mica
6. The natural boundary between Spain and France is _____________.
(a) The Alps
(b) The Pyrenees
(c) The Carpathian
(d) The Caucasus
Answer: (b) The Pyrenees
7. The western and north-western Europe enjoys mild and humid climate.
Choose the correct option:
(a) These regions are found near the equator
(b) It is influenced by the North Atlantic Drift
(c) It is surrounded by mountains
(d) All of the above
Answer: (b) It is influenced by the North Atlantic Drift
8. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
(a) Europe produces electricity from hydel power
(b) All the rivers of Europe originate in the Alps
(c) Most of the rivers in Europe are used for inland navigation
(d) The rivers of Europe are perennial in nature
Answer: (d) The rivers of Europe are perennial in nature
9. Choose the incorrect pair.
a. The Meseta - Spain
b. The Jura - France
c. The Pennines - Italy
d. The Black Forest – Germany
Answer: c. The Pennines - Italy
10. Which country in Europe has a very low density of population?
(b) The Netherlands
Answer: (a) Iceland
II. Fill in the blanks.
1. The Taurus and the Pontine ranges radiate from the Armenian knot.
2. The wettest place in the world is Mawsynram.
3. Iran is the largest producer of Mineral resources in the world.
4. Europe connected with south and south east Asia by Suez sea route.
5. The national dance of Philippines is Tinikling.
6. The second highest peak in Europe is Mont Blanc.
7. The type of climate that prevails in the central and eastern parts of Europe is Continental type.
8. The important fishing ground in North Sea is Dogger Bank.
9. The density of population in Europe is 34 persons / km2.
10. The river Danube passes through nine countries of Europe.
III. Match The Following
1. Mesopotomian Plain - HighestRainfall
2. Mawsynram - Norway
3. Rice Bowl of southeast asia - Spain
4. Fjord Coast - Euphrates & Tigris
5. Bull Fighting – Thailand
1. Mesopotomian Plain - Euphrates & Tigris
2. Mawsynram - Highest Rainfall
3. Rice Bowl of southeast asia - Thailand
4. Fjord Coast - Norway
5. Bull Fighting - Spain
IV. Let us learn
1. Assertion (A): Italy has dry summers and rainy winters
Reason (R): It is located in the Mediterranean region
(a) Both A and R are individually true and R is the correct explanation for A
(b) Both A and R are individually true but R is not the correct explanation for A
(c) A is true, but R is false
(d) A is false, but R is true
Answer: (d) A is false, but R is true
2. Places marked as 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the given map are noted for the following plains.
A. Indo – Gangetic plain
B. Manchurian plain
D.Great plains of China
Match the plains with the notation on the map and select the correct answer using the codes given below.
A B C D
(a) 2 1 4 3
(b) 2 1 3 4
(c) 1 2 3 4
(d) 1 4 3 2
Answer: (b) 2,1,3,4
3. In the given outline map of Asia, the shaded areas indicate the cultivation of
Answer: (b) Dates
V. Answer in Brief
1. Name the important intermontane plateaus found in Asia.
The plateau of Anatolia (Pontine to Taurus)
The plateau of Iran (Elburz to Zagros mt)
The plateau of Tibet (Kunlun to Himalayas)
2. Write a short note on monsoon climate.
Summer is hot and humid while winter is cool and dry.
3. How does physiography play a vital role in determining the population of Asia?
The population is unevenly distributed because of various physical features. River plains and industrial regions have high density of population, whereas low density is found in the interior parts of Asia.
4. Name the ports found is Asia.
Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Chennai, Mumbai, Karachi and Dubai are the important seaports in Asia.
5. Asia is called the ‘Land of Contrasts’-Justify.
Asia is the biggest continent. It has different types of land features such as mountain, plateau, plain, valley, bay, island etc. It also has different climatic conditions from the equator to polar region. Apart from this, many races, languages, religions and cultures are followed by people who live in Asia. So, Asia is called 'the land of contrasts'.
6. Name the important mountains found in the Alpine system.
The Sierra Nevada, the Pyrenees, the Alps, the Apennines, the Dinaric Alps, the Caucasus and the Carpathian.
7. What are the important rivers of Europe?
Volga, Danube, Dniper, Rhine, Rhone, Po and Thames.
8. Name a few countries which enjoy the Mediterranean type of climate.
Southern Spain, South of France and Italy Greece, Lebanon, Israel.
9. Give a short note on the population of Europe.
Europe is the third most populous continent, after Asia and Africa. The population of Europe was 742 million in 2018, which accounted for 9.73% of the world's population. The population density in Europe is 34 persons/km2.
10. Name the important festivals celebrated in Europe.
Christmas, Easter, Good Friday, the Saint Day, Redentore, Tomatina and Carnival are the important festivals of Europe.
1. Intermontane plateaus and southern plateaus.
• Intermontane plateaus are higher than southern plateaus
The important plateaus are
• The plateau of Anatolia
• The plateau of Iran
• The plateau of Tibet
• The Southern Plateaus are relatively lower than northern plateaus
The important plateaus are
• Arabian plateau
• Deccan plateau Shan plateau, Yunnan plateau
2. Cold desert and hot desert
• Summer is very short period in cold Desert
• Gobi desert
• Taklamakan Desert
• Hot climate is found throughout the year.
• Arabian Desert
• Thaar Desert
3. Tundra and Taiga.
The Arctic and Northern Scandinavian highland have Tundra type of vegetation made up of lichens and mosses.
Tiga vegetations are found to the South of Tundra region in Norway, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Poland and Austria. Pine, fir spruce and larch are found in Taiga forest
4. The North western highlands and the Alpine mountain range.
The North Western highland
1. This region includes the mountain and plateau of Norway, Sweden, Finland, Scotland and Iceland, southern part of Europe.
2. This region has the most beautiful fjord coast.
3. It has a lot of lakes which serve as reservoir for producing electricity.
Alpine mountain range
1. The Alpine mountain system consists of a chain of young fold mountains found in the southern part of Europe.
2. The highest peak in Europe is located here.
3. There are several active volcanoes found in the Alpine mountain system.
VII. Give Reasons
1. Asia is the leading producer of rice.
Monsoon in Asia is suitable for rice cultivation because of the abundant rainfall, fertile plains and availability of labour.
2. Asia is the largest and most populous continent in the world.
Asia is the most populated continent in the world. Approximately six- tenth of the world's population lives in Asia.
Asia covers 30% of the world's land area. As it lies in northern hemisphere it has varied physical features. The mountains and perennial rivers are conducive to human existence. So it is the largest and most populous continent in the world.
3. Europe is called ‘a giant peninsula’.
Europe is surrounded by the Arctic Ocean in the North, the Black Sea and Mediterranean Sea in the south, the Atlantic Ocean in the west and the Ural mountains in the east. So it looks like a giant peninsula.
4. Although Western Europe is located in the high latitudes, it has a moderate climate.
North Atlantic Drift is a warm ocean current which brings warmth to the western Europe. The westerly wind further transports warmth across Europe. So Western Europe has a moderate climate.
VIII. Answer in Paragraph
1. Give an account of the drainage system in Asia.
The rivers of Asia originate mostly from the central highlands. The Ob, Yenise and Lena are the major rivers that flow towards the north and drain into the Arctic Ocean. These rivers remain frozen during winter. On the other hand, South Asia has many perennial rivers (e.g.) Brahmaputra, Indus, Ganga and Irrawaddy which originate from the snow covered high mountains that do not freeze during winter. The Euphrates and Tigris flow in West Asia. The Amur, Huang He, Yangtze and Mekong rivers flow in the south and south eastern parts of Asia. Yangtze is the longest river in Asia.
2. Describe the mineral sources found in Asia.
Asia has a variety of mineral deposits. It holds an important place in the production of Iron, Coal, Manganese, Bauxite, Zinc, Tungsten, Petroleum, Tin etc. Oil and Natural Gas is found in the west Asian countries. One third of the world’s oil is produced in Asia. Among the west Asian countries, Iran has a considerable wealth of mineral resources. The important minerals found in Asia are:
Iron Ore : Asia has the largest deposits of iron ore in the world. China and India are the important iron ore deposit countries of Asia. Turkey, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar etc., are a few other countries that have iron ore deposits.
Coal : Coal is a fossil fuel. Asia has the largest deposits of coal in the world. China and India are the largest producers of coal in Asia.
Petroleum : Petroleum is a mineral oil. The largest petroleum reserves are found in South West Asia. The important petroleum producing countries are Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iran, Bahrain, Qatar and UAE. South China, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, India, Russia are the other important petroleum producing countries in Asia.
Bauxite is found in India and Indonesia. India is the largest producer of Mica in the world. Tin is found in Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.
3. What are fjords? How do they protect harbours from bad weather conditions?
Fjord: A fjord is a narrow and deep sea inlet between steep cliffs. It helps in the following ways.
1. It reduces the speed of wind, irrespective of its direction.
2. The force of sea waves are also controlled.
Hence, areas with fjords are best suited for natural harbours.
4. Describe the climatic divisions of Europe.
The climate of Europe varies from the subtropical to the polar climate. The Mediterranean climate of the south has warm summer and rainy winter. The western and northwestern parts have a mild, generally humid climate, influenced by the North Atlantic Drift. In central and eastern Europe, the climate is humid continental-type. In the northeast, subarctic and tundra climates are found. The whole of Europe is subject to the moderating influence of prevailing westerly winds from the Atlantic Ocean.
North Atlantic Drift is a warm ocean current which brings warmth to the western Europe. The westerly wind further transports warmth across Europe.
IX. Map Skill
Mark the following in the outline map of Asia and Europe.
Asia: Ural mountain, Himalayas, Pamir knot, Gobi Desert, Arabian Peninsula, Deccan plateau, River Yangtze, River Ob, Aral Sea and Lake Baykal.
Europe: The Pyrenees, Black forest, Apennines, Hungarian Plain, Caucasus Mountain, River Volga, River Danube, Strait of Gibraltar, Lake Ladoga, North Sea
1. Complete the following.
I belong to ____ district. My district is famous for the following: 1. ____, 2. ____ and 3. ____. The boundaries of my districts are ____ in the north, ____ in the east, ____ in the south and ____ in the west. It spreads for an area of ____ km2. There are ____ taluks and ____ villages in my district. ____, ____, ____ are the important mountain / plain / plateaus (If all, mention all features). The rivers ____, ____, ____ criss – cross my district. ____, ____, ____ are common trees and wildlife such as ____, ____, ____ are found here. ____, ____, ____ are important minerals available in my district. Based on this ____, ____ industries are located here. The major crops are ____, ____, ____. (Coastal districts may write the variety of fish). The total population is ____. We celebrate ____, ____, ____ festivals.
2. If you get a chance to settle in Europe, which country would you choose? List out the reasons why?
3. Choose any region is Asia. In the map of Asia, mark its distribution of natural vegetation and wildlife.Paste related pictures.