I Choose the correct answer:
1. The Kingdom which was most powerful among the four Mahajanapadas
Answer: b) Magadha
2. Among the following who was the contemporary of Gautama Buddha?
c. Padmanabha Nanda
Answer: a) Ajatasatru
3. Which of the following are the sources of Mauryan period?
a. Artha Sastra
Answer: d) All
4. Chandra Gupta Maurya abdicated the thrown and went to Sravanbelgola along wit Jaina Saint ______________.
Answer: a) Badrabahu
5. _______ was the ambassador of Seleucus Nicator.
Answer: d) Megasthenese
6. Who was the last emperor of Mauryan Dynasty?
a. Chandragupta Maurya
Answer: c) Brihadratha
II Match the statement with the reason/Tick the appropriate answer:
1. Statement (A) Ashoka is considered as one of India’s greatest rulers.
Reason (R) He ruled according to the principle of Dhamma.
a. Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A.
b. Both A and R are true but R is not the correct explanation of A.
c. A is true but R is false.
d. A is false but R is true.
Answer: a. Both A and R are true and R is the correct explanation of A.
2. Which of the statements given below is/are correct?
Statement 1 Chandragupta Maurya was the first ruler who unified entire India under one political unit.
Statement 2 The Arthashastra provides information about the Mauryan administration
a. only 1
b. only 2
c. both 1 and 2
d neither 1 nor 2
Answer: b. only 2
3. Consider the following statements and find out which of the following statement(s) is/are correct.
1. Chandragupta Maurya was the first king of Magadha.
2. Rajagriha was the capital of Magadha.
a. only 1
b. only 2
c. both 1 and 2
d. neither 1 nor 2
Answer: b. only 2
4. Arrange the following dynasties in chronological order.
1. Nanda – Sishunaga – Haryanka – Maurya
2. Nanda – Sishunaga –Maurya – Haryanka
3. Haryanka - Sishunaga – Nanda - Maurya
4. Sishunaga – Maurya – Nanda – Haryanka
Answer: Haryanka - Sishunaga – Nanda - Maurya
5. Which of the following factors contributed to the rise of Magadhan Empire?
1. Strategic location
2. Thick forest supplied timber and elephant
3. Control over sea
4. Availability of rich deposits of iron ores
a. 1, 2 and 3 only
b. 3 and 4 only
c. 1, 2 and 4 only
d. All of these
Answer: 1, 2 and 4 only
III Fill in the blanks:
1. Rajagriha was the earliest capital of Magadha.
2. Mudrarakshasa was written by Visakadatta.
3. Ashoka was the son of Bindusara.
4. The founder of the Maurya Empire was Chandra Gupta Maurya.
5. Dhamma Mahamattas were appointed to spread Dhamma all over the empire.
IV State True or False:
1. The title Devanam Piya was given to Chandragupta Maurya. False
2. Ashoka gave up war after his defeat in Kalinga. False
3. Ashoka’s Dhamma was based on the principle of Buddhism. True
4. The lions on the currency notes is taken from the Rampurwa bull capital. False
5. Buddha's relics were placed in the centre of the Stupas. True
V Match the following:
a. Gana 1. Arthasastra
b. Megasthenese 2. religious tours
c. Chanakya 3. people
d. Dharmayatras 4. Indica
a. 3 4 1 2
b. 2 4 3 1
c. 3 1 2 4
d. 2 1 4 3
Answer: a) 3 4 1 2
VI Answer in one or two sentences:
1. Mention any two literary sources of Mauryan period.
1. Indica by Megasthenese
2. Arthashastra by Chanakya
2. What is a stupa?
A stupa is a semi-spherical dome-like structure constructed on brick or stone. The Buddha's relics were placed in the centre of the dome.
3. Name the dynasties of Magadha.
Four dynasties ruled over Magadha Empire. They are:
• The Haryanka dynasty
• The Shishunaga dynasty
• The Nanda dynasty
• The Maurya dynasty
4. What were the sources of revenue during Mauryan period?
The land was the most important source of revenue for the state.
The land tax (bhaga) collected was 1/6 of the total produce.
Revenue from taxes on forests, mines, salt and irrigation provided additional revenue to the government.
5. Who assisted Nagarika in the administration of towns?
Sthanika and Gopa, assisted Nagarika in the administration of towns.
6. What do you know from the Rock Edicts II and XIII of Ashoka?
The Rock Edicts II and XIII of Ashoka refer to the names of the three dynasties namely Pandyas, Cholas, the Keralaputras and the Sathyaputras.
7. Which classical Tamil poetic works have the reference of Mauryans?
Mamullanar's poem in Agananuru.
VII Answer the following:
1. What did Ashoka do to spread Buddhism? (Write any three points)
Ashoka sent his son Mahinda and Sanghamitta to Srilanka to propagate Buddhism. He also sent missionaries to West Asia, Egypt, and Eastern Europe to spread the message of Dhamma. The Dhamma-mahamattas were a new cadre of officials created by Ashoka. Their job was to spread dhamma all over the empire. Ashoka held the third Buddhist Council at his capital Pataliputra.
2. Write any three causes for the rise of Magadha.
• Magadha was located on the lower part of the Gangetic plain. The plain was fertile which ensured the rich agricultural yield. This provided regular and substantial income to the state.
• The thick forests supplied timber for construction of buildings and elephants for army.
• Abundance of natural resources especially iron enabled them to equip themselves with weapons made of iron.
1. Kalinga war became a turning point in Ashoka’s life. How?
The horror of Kalinga war filled Ashoka with grief. He became broken-hearted. There was a change in him. He made up his mind to put an end to war. Chandasoka (Ashoka the wicked) became Dhammasoka (Ashoka righteous). He became a Buddhist and spread the policy of Dhamma.
2. Write any five welfare measures you would do if you were a king like Ashoka?
I would open hospitals for the poor. Free food supply schemes would be implemented for poor people. I would open veterinary hospitals for birds and animals. I would build dams and improve agriculture. I shall provide drinking water and clothes to the needy.
IX Picture study
This is the picture of an Ashokan edicts.
a. What are edicts?
Edicts are an official order or proclamation issued by a person in authority or a king.
b. How are Ashokan edicts useful?
Ashoka's edicts are useful to show the king's concern for the welfare of the people.
c. Where were these edicts inscribed?
These edicts were inscribed on the pillars boulders and cave walls.
d. Name the script used in Sanchi Inscription.
e. How many Rock Edicts are there?
There are 33 Rock Edicts.
X. Who am I
1. I belonged to Haryanka dynasty. I extended territory by matrimonial alliances. My son is Ajatasatru – who am I?
2. I played a significant role in the transformation of society. I am used in making ploughshare - Who am I?
3. I was known as Devanampiya. I embraced the path of peace - Who am I
4. I established the first largest empire in India. I performed Sallekhana. Who am I?
5. I am found in the Lion capital of Ashoka. I am at the centre of our national flag.Who am I?
XI Decipher the code – The Mauryan Empire.
1. The first dynasty that ruled over Magadha was HARYANKA (8, 1, 18, 25, 1,14, 11, 1).
2. MAURYA empire was the first largest empire (13, 1, 21,18, 25, 1).
3. UDAYIN laid the foundation of the new capital at Pataliputra (21, 4, 1, 25, 9, 14).
4. SPICES was one of the main exports (19, 16, 9, 3, 5, 19).
5. NALANDA became later the most renowned seat of learning (14, 1, 12, 1, 14, 4, 1).
6. Revenue from agricultural produce was called BHAGA (2, 8, 1, 7, 1).
7. The horror of war was described in ROCK EDICT (18, 15, 3, 11, 5, 4, 9, 3, 20)
8. Greeks called Bindusara as AMITRAGATHA (1, 13, 9, 20, 18, 1, 7, 1, 20, 8, 1)
9. The crowning element in Saranath Pillar is DHARMACHAKRA 4, 8,1, 18, 13, 1, 3, 8, 1, 11, 18, 1)
10. Council of ministers were known as MANDRIPARISHAD (13, 1, 14, 4, 18, 9, 16, 1, 18, 9, 19, 8, 1, 4)
Answer: 1. HARYANKA 2. MAURYA 3. UDAYIN 4. SPICES 5. NALANDA 6. BHAGA 7. ROCK EDICT 8. AMITRAGATHA 9. DHARMACHAKRA 10. MANDRIPARISHAD
1. Field trip to Museum
2. Movie show – about Ashoka and Chandragupta.
XIII Map Work
1. Mark the extent of Ashokan Empire.
2. Mark the following places on the river map of India
a. Taxila b. Pataliputra c. Ujjain d. Sanchi e. Indraprastha
XIV Life Skill
1. Make a model of Ashoka Chakra.
2. Make a model of Sanchi Stupa.
3. Draw and colour our National Flag.
XV Answer Grid
Name the two kinds of government in North India during 6th century B.C (BCE)
Ans: Gana-Sanghas Kingdoms - Monarchies
Who conducted second Buddhist council at Vaishali?
What is the modem name for Kalinga?
Town was administrated by_________
Where was the third Buddhist council convened by Ashoka?
Name any two major Mahajanapadas.
Ans: Magadha in Bihar Avanti in Ujjain
Which inscription records the construction of Sudarshana lake?
Ans: The Junagarh / Girnar Inscription
Who was the last Nanda ruler?
Ans: Dhana Nanda
Name the silver coin which were in use during Maurian period?