I. Choose the correct answer
1. What was the step taken by the early man to collect his food?
d. Rearing of animals
Answer: b. Hunting
II. Match the statement with the Reason. Tick the appropriate answer:
1. Statement: Pre historic man went along with the dog for hunting.
Reason: Dogs with its sniffing power would find out other animals.
a. Statement is true, but reason is wrong.
b. Statement and reason are correct.
c. Statement is wrong, and reason is correct.
d. Both statements and reasons are wrong.
Answer: c. Statement is wrong, and reason is correct.
2. Statement: The objects used by the early man are excavated. They are preserved to know the lifestyle of the people.
Find out which of the following is related to the statement:
b. Burial materials
c. Stone tools
Answer: b. Burial materials
3. Find out the wrong pair:
a Old stone age - Stone tools
b. Rock paintings - Walls of the caves
c. Copper plates- A source of history
d. Cats - First domesticated
Answer: d. Cats - First domesticated
4. Find the odd one:
a. Paintings were drawn on rocks and caves.
b. There were paintings depicting hunting scenes.
c. It was drawn to show his family members about hunting.
d. The paintings were painted by using many colours.
Answer: d. The paintings were painted by using many colours.
III. Fill in the blanks
1. The Old Stone Age man lived mostly in caves.
2. Herodotus is the father of history.
3. Dogs was the first animal tamed by Old Stone Age man.
4. Inscriptions are archaeological sources
5. Dharma Chakra has 24 spokes.
IV. State True or False
1. Stone tools belonging to Old Stone Age have been excavated at Athtirampakkam near Chennai. [False]
2. The materials used by the ancient people are preserved in the museums by the Archaeological Department. [True]
3. During the period of Ashoka, Buddhism spread across the country. [True]
V. Match the following:
a. Rock paintings - copper plates
b. Written records - the most famous king
c. Ashoka - Devaram
d. Religious Literature - to understand the Lifestyle
a. Rock paintings - to understand the lifestyle
b. Written records - copper plates
c. Ashoka - the most famous king
d. Religious Literature - Devaram
VI. Answer in one word :
1. Can you say any two advantages of writing diary?
• we can understand the lifestyle and activities of that period.
• We can understand the people literate or illiterate
2. How do we know the people’s lifestyle of the Old Stone Age?
Stone tools, excavated materials and rock paintings
are the major sources of old stone age.
3. Is inscription a written record?
Yes, the inscriptions are written records.
4. What is proto history?
The period for which records in writing are available
but not yet deciphered is called proto history.
5. Name an epic?
VII. Answer the following :
1. What is history?
History is the study of past events in chronological
2. What do you know about the pre historic period?
• The period between the use of first stone tools and the invention of writing systems is pre-history.
• Stone tools,
excavated materials and rock paintings are the major sources of pre-history.
3. What are the sources available to know about the pre-historic period?
Stone tools, excavated materials and rock paintings
are the major sources of pre-history.
4. Mention the places from where we got pre-historic tools.
• Bhramagiri, and
5. What are the benefits of a museum?
• It’s used the preserve the historical monuments.
• Used to know old way of life style.
6. Name some tools used by early man to hunt animals.
• Stone cores, and sharp stone flakes.
7. Why were paintings drawn on rocks?
• They might have done it as a part of their passtime.
8. Name any two artefacts?
• Cylinder of Cyrus
• Temple warning inscriptions
1. How dogs were useful to pre historic men?
• Dogs could help them prevent the entry of dangerous animals by its sniffing skill.
• Hence they started domesticating dogs for their protection and hunting activities
2. Compare the lifestyle of Old Stone Age man with present day lifestyle.
Old stone age
• No pollution
• No electricity
• Infected by harmful virus and bacterias.
• Using machines and goods using electricity
• Development of medicine
IX. Student Activity
1. Write down the important events of your family with years. Draw a timeline with the help of your teacher or with your classmates.
2. Early man used stones as a weapon. Make an album showing the various uses of stone.
3. Identify the category of the following sources of history.
a. Urns excavated from Adhichanallur.
b. Copper plates of Velvikudi.
d. Sanchi Stupa.
f. The earthernwares from Keezhadi.
g. Toys of Indus Civilisation.
h. Big Temple of Thanjavur.
X. Life Skill
1. Make some weapon models used by the Old Stone Age man using clay.
2. Discuss with your grandpa, grandma, neighbours and teachers and collect information about your street, village, town or school. With that collected data, try to write its history titling your writing as “I Am a Historian”.
XI. Answer Grid
Early men scribbled and painted on me…Today they used me to build houses and lay roads. who am I? Ans: ROCKS
Expand BCE. Ans: Before Common Era.
_______ is the study inscription. Ans: Epigraphy
Name any two archaeological sources? Ans: Toys and Coins
what is the meaning of the Greek word “Istoria” ? Ans: Learning by enquiry
__________ is the study of coins. Ans: Numismatics
Name the types of literary sources? Ans: Secular and religious
Expand CE. Ans: Common Era
I can help you to talk, see, hear, write and read. There is no world without me. Who am I? Ans: History
XII. Map work
Mark the following places in the political map of India.
c. Tamil Nadu
d. Andhra Pradesh