VI. Answer the following in detail
1. The developments in the fields of agriculture, pottery and metal tools are considered a landmark in the life of Megalithic period - Substantiate.
• When the people of Megalithic period (Iron age) practiced agriculture millets and rice were cultivated. Since many of the sites were found nearby rivers and tanks, irrigation management developed irrigation management had developed.
• The burials were placed along with rice Evidence : Adichanallur, Porunthal.
• Black and red ware pottery were used during this period. The pottery has a black inside and a red outside with lustrous surfaces.
• These potteries were used for cooking, storage and dining purposes,
• The megalithic iron tools were used for agriculture hunting, gathering and in battles. Swords and daggers, axes, chisels lamps and tripod stands are found.
• Bronze bowls, vessels, mirrors and bells have also been found.
• The burials of this period have iron objects placed as grave goods.
2. The history of humans is closely related to the history of the earth. Elucidate.
The history of humans is closely related to the history of the earth
• Geological, archaeological and biological records of historical times are found in the upper layers of the earth, particularly the fossil bones of the human ancestors are embedded.
• Palaeonthropologists and archaeologists excavate the soil and rock layers and extract evidence.
• Scientifically dated layers and the fossils helped to study the various stages in human evolution and prehistory.
• By the geologists, the long span of time in earth's history is divided into eras, periods and epochs.
• Proterozoic era - Multicellular form of life
Palaeozoic era - Fish, reptiles, plants
Mesozoic era - Dinosaurs
Cenozoic era - Australopithecines (Southern Ape)
(From the apes modern humans evolved)
STUDENT ACTIVITIES (For Students)
• Mark the prehistoric sites on the world map.
• Organize an exhibition on the pre-historic sites of Tamil Nadu.