III. Answer the following Questions briefly
1. What is migration? State its types.
• Migration is the movement of people across regions and territories.
Types of Migration:
• Internal migration (Within a country)
• International migration (Between the countries)
2. Write any four advantages of railways.
• Railways promote national integration by bringing people together.
• Also they promote trade, tourism, education etc.
• Railways help in the commercialization of the agriculture sector by facllitating the quick movement of perishable goods.
• Railways help in transporting raw materials to industries and finished goods to markets.
3. Write a note on Pipeline network transport in India
• Pipelines provide a very convenient mode of transport to connect oil and natural gas fields, refineries and to the markets.
• In the past, pipelines were used to transport water to cities and industries.
• Now solids can also be transported through a pipeline when converted into slurry.
• Pipeline can be laid through difficult terrain as well as under water.
• It ensures steady supply and reduces the transshipment losses and delays.
4. State the major Inland waterways of India
India has an extensive network of inland waterways in the form of rivers, canals, lakes and backwaters.
The major National waterways are:
• National Waterway - 1: Between Haldia and Allahabad (1620 km. It includes Ganga Bhagirathi – Hooghly river system)
• National Waterway - 2: Between Dhubri and Sadiya (891 km)
• National Waterway - 3: Between Kollam and Kottapuram in Kerala (205 km. The first National waterway with 24 hour navigation).
5. What is communication? What are its types?
• Communication is a process that involves exchange of information, thoughts and ideas.
• The two types are Personal Communication and Mass Communication.
6. Define “International trade”.
• Trade carried on between two or more countries is called 'International trade'. It is also called as external trade or foreign trade.
7. State the merits of Roadways.
• Roads piay an important role in carrying goods and passengers for short, medium and long distances.
• It is highly suitable for short distance services.
• It is comparatively easy and cheap to construct and maintain roads.
• Road transport system can establish easy contact between farms, fields, factories and markets.
• It can provide door to door transport services.
• All sections of the people use roadways.