Social Science : Civics
FORMS OF GOVERNMENT AND DEMOCRACY
V. Answer in detail
1. What are the challenges to Iridian democracy? Explain.
• Democracy is the dominant form of government in the contemporary world. In the last hundred years it has not faced a serious challenge and there has been an expansion of democracy all over the world.
Major Challenges to Indian Democracy:
• Gender discrimination
• Casteism, communalism and religious fundamentalism
• Criminalisation of politics
• Political violence
2. Explain the conditions necessary for the success of democracy in India.
The success of democracy depends on the following conditions.
• Empowerment of the poor and illiterates to enjoy the goodness of democracy.
• Willingness among the elected people not to misuse their powerful position and public wealth.
• Eradication of social evils and dangers from which democracy suffers.
• An impartial and efficient press to form public opinion.
• Presence of strong public opinion.
• Feeling of tolerance and communal harmony among the people.
• Awareness among the people of the fundamental rights that they are entitled to enjoy.
• Conscious check and vigilance on the working of the elected representatives.
• Powerful and responsible opposition.
3. What is your opinion about democracy in India?
Democracy in India:
• India has a Parliamentary form of democracy comprises the elected representations of people.
• The Parliamentary form of government in India that makes laws for the country has two important elements
1) The participation of people in the decision making
2) The consent of citizens.
• India, the largest democracy in the world, works on 5 basic principles Sovereign, Socialist, Secular, Democratic, Republic.
• Every Citizen of India who is not less than 18 years of age can exercise their right to vote on universal adult suffrage irrespective of caste, creed, religion, gender and education.