Social Science : Geography
MAN AND ENVIRONMENT
VII. Answer in a paragraph
1. Explain the factors affecting the distribution of population.
Population distribution refers to the way in which people are spread out across the earth's surface.
The world population is not uniformly distributed.
The Factors affecting the distribution of population are.
• Physical factors
• Historical factors
• Economic factors
a) Physical Factors
Temperature, rainfall, soil, relief, water, natural vegetation, distribution of minerals and availability of energy resources are physical factor of population distribution.
b) Historical Factors
• Regions with historical importance (river valley civilizations), war, constant invasions are the Historical factors of population distribution.
c) Economic Factors
Educational institutions, employment opportunities, manufacturing industries, luxurious amenities, trade and commerce and other facilities are the Economic factors of population distribution. There Economic factors encourage dense population in an area.
2. Describe the patterns of rural settlement with neat diagrams.
• Any settlement where most of the people are engaged in primary activities like agriculture, forestry, mining and fishery is known as a “rural settlement".
PATTERNS OF RURAL SETTLEMENTS:
• The patterns are
• Circular (Semi circular)
• Star shaped
• T,Y, Cross shaped
• The are found in plain areas or valleys.
• The roads are rectangular and cut each other at right angles.
• The houses are located along a road, railway line, along the edge of the river valley or a levee.
Circular Pattern (Semicircular):
• It is found around the lakes, ponds and sea coasts.
Star shaped pattern:
• The houses are spread out along the sides of roads (metalled or unmetalled) in all directions.
It is generally developed at the confluence of rivers.
• Cruciform settlements develop on the cross-roads that extend in all four directions.